Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ohana











I'd like to talk about one of my favorite restaurants I love to go to for happy hour.  It's called Ohana, located in the heart of the Belltown neighborhood in downtown Seattle. 

Happy hour is pretty big here in Seattle, so it's important to find those places that offer great food for great happy hour prices.  Ohana just happens to be one of those places.  You'll find an extensive happy hour menu filled with delicious dishes like beef robata (basically skewered chunks of marinated, grilled, tender beef....you can also get chicken), crunchy shrimp tempura rolls, spicy salmon hand rolls, gyoza, spam musubi, etc....all for just a couple of bucks each! 

The atmosphere is very relaxed and family friendly.  Occasionally, the establishment will host live music (usually later in the night) or even karaoke.  The staff is always friendly and do their best to check up on you as often as they can, even when they're packed with patrons. 

The decor is what really makes this place different.  Inside you'll think you're in Hawaii after taking a look at all of the Island-inspired decorations and trinkets hanging from the ceiling and walls.  It's very dimly lit inside, which offers a very cozy and relaxing feeling. 

Beef Robata:


Salmon Skin Roll, California Roll, & Crunchy Salmon Hand Roll:


Gyoza:

Hawaiian decorations:



OK, here comes my famous (not really) 5-"NOM" rating system (5 being the highest):

SERVICE, 4.5 NOMs= The service is great at Ohana.  My party is usually promptly seated whenever we arrive.  They're very attentive throughout the dining experience and extremely friendly with the patrons.  I give them credit for keeping up with each and every table on a busy night. 

ATMOSPHERE/LOCATION, 3.5 NOMs= Ohana is located right in the heart of Belltown on a main street, nestled between a couple of restaurants.  So, as you might expect in a downtown environment, there isn't any parking dedicated to the restaurant.  Downtown parking can be a chore to find in this particular area, which is the only downside.  The upside is that you definitely can't miss the place with all the brightly lit signs and the colorful lights lining the outside patio fence area.  For those cold nights, you'll be pleased to hear they have outdoor heaters on the patio.  The atmosphere inside is very fun and inviting.

FOOD PRESENTATION, 3.5 NOMs=  I usually come here for happy hour, so I can say they are definitely well presented.  I had dinner here once and the presentation was just "ok".  The happy hour plates are generally pleasantly presented on small, decorative plates.  I think the robata plates are presented the best, with grilled meats covered in a teriyaki glaze, served on top of a small bed of lettuce and grilled asparagus on the side. 

TASTE, 4.5 NOMs=  Like I said, the reason I go here is because they serve up great food.  I think the only thing that could be improved is the California roll.  It's a little too mayonnaisey.  Other than that, everything I've tried at Ohana is absolutely delicious.  Again......BEEF ROBATA!!!

VALUE, 4.5 NOMs=  $3 happy hour plates in downtown Seattle is fine by me.  I can get full and it'll still work for my budget. 

ORIGINALITY, 5 NOMs= Not too many Hawaiian restaurants in the city with a great menu, accommodating hours, and fun nightlife. 

OVERALL, 4.2 NOMs=  Ohana, I will definitely be back here for many happy hours to come.  As of now, you are my #1 happy hour spot in the city!


"Food?....it's O.N.N.N.!"  
-NMOS

No comments:

Post a Comment